We couldn’t be more excited to share this perfect pie crust recipe with you, using our Easy Peasy Flour Mix. Making it is super fun and surprisingly easy!
To make a 9-inch Pie Crust, you’ll need:
- 1 Cup (138g) Happy Campers Easy Peasy Flour Mix
- 6 Tbsp chilled Coconut Oil, Regular Butter or Plant-Based Butter. To chill, put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Ice-cold Water
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pastry Cutter or Fork and Mixing Bowl
- Waxed Paper, Rolling Pin and 9” Pie Pan
- Add Flour Mix and Baking Powder into mixing bowl and combine.
- Add chilled Coconut Oil or Butter and work it in gently with a pastry cutter or fork. The goal is to incorporate them together until the texture is like coarse sand. It’s okay if some pieces are larger – as big as peas is okay. Avoid overworking it and mushing it together.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of Ice-cold Water, just enough so the “coarse sand” dough can come together and loosely form a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of Waxed Paper and create a round disk about half an inch thick with your hands.
- Place another sheet of Wax Paper on top and roll it out to about 10 inches to fit your 9-inch pan.
- Transfer the crust: simply remove the top layer of Wax Paper, place your Pan on it face-down and flip them over! It’s pretty easy to do and if the dough rips, you can easily patch it together once it’s in the Pan. No one will ever know.
- Peel off the (now) top layer of Wax Paper, use your hands to form it neatly into the Pan.
- Now your Pie Crust is ready to be filled with delicious Pie filling and then baked! The bake time will depend on the Pie filling you choose.
Our favorite Pumpkin Pie filling!
- 2 ¾ Cups Cooked Pumpkin or squash (butternut, acorn squash…) or just buy a can of pumpkin puree at a store!
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- ⅛ tsp Salt1 Tbsp Pumpkin Seasoning (mix of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Ginger)
- 10 Fresh pitted Dates
- 1 ½ tsp Stevia or any other sweetener to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Add all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy smooth, about 7 mins.
- Taste the filling and add more spice or sweetener to your liking.
- Pour into your raw Pie Crust and bake for about 1hr – 1hr 15 min or until cracks start to form and it doesn’t wiggle and wobble too much when you jiggle it.
- Bonus points for drawing or writing something fun into the filling!
Happy holidays and happy eating!
Lacy and Jan