Hello happy campers!
We have a special treat to share with you that we hope will enhance your holiday spirit! 💝💚😊✨
This special old world bread is traditionally made with cooked Corn-meal, Molasses, Nutmeg and Butter.
There are many old stories and legends about this bread from the early American history. We share one of them at the bottom of this newsletter!
In our family, the dad of Happy Campers co-founder Lacy would always make this bread a few days before Christmas day, as a delectable snack or breakfast to enjoy during the holidays. We converted this bread to gluten free and you can now bake it with our Easy Peasy Flour Mix at your home!
1) In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and 1.5 Cups water. In a saucepan, bring 1 Cup of water to a boil. Add cornmeal mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 7-10 minutes.
2) Transfer to your Mixer Bowl and let it cool for a few minutes. Then add Molasses and Butter/Oil and mix together.
3) Add all other ingredients to the Mixer Bowl (Easy Peasy Gluten Free Flour Mix, Yeast and Nutmeg) and mix. Start on low speed and after a minute turn up to high speed. Mix on high speed for about 6 minutes, until dough is very smooth. It's very important to mix thoroughly. Don't worry, you cannot over-mix this dough.
4) Grease your bread pan and transfer dough in. Smooth the top with a wet spatula, like in the photo below. Cover with a wet light towel and let rise until about doubled, like in the second photo below. It should take about 45 minutes and up to 1 hr.
5) As dough is mixing, you can pre-heat your oven to 375F.
6) Make sure your oven is pre-heated to 375F. Bake at 375F Convection for 30 minutes, then turn convection off and bake for another 30 minutes (1hr total). If you don't have a convection oven, simply bake at 375F for 1hr and 5 minutes.
7) Transfer out of hot pan immediately and cool on a wire rack. Om nom nom, enjoy this delicious Organic Gluten Free Anadama Molasses bread!!! Enjoy for a delicious snack or breakfast. Stores in fridge for 1-2 weeks or freeze.
Now that Anadame bread story we promised you!
May your Winter Solstice, Christmas, Hanukkah and any and all winter holidays you're celebrating be merry and filled with joy, peace and presence of loved ones! 💝💚🤍
Lacy, Jan and the Happy Campers team