Jackfruit Toona melt sandwich: Founders’ everyday favorite edition!
This recipe is loaded with deliciousness as well as veggies. It feeds the whole family and makes 4-5 sandwiches. If you don’t want that many sandwiches, you can use the leftover Jackfruit Toona salad for later and eat by itself or make more sandwiches the next day!
- 8-10 slices Classy Slice or Hemp Hemp Hooray
- 1 can (14oz.) green/young jackfruit in brine (We like Native Forest Organic Jackfruit found in many grocery stores)
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely Diced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 2 sheets of Nori seaweed wrap, finely crumbled (you can use Vitamix to crumble them. Use only 1 sheet or omit if you don't like seaweed flavor)
- ½ cup vegan mayo of choice
- a pinch of cayenne pepper, (totally optional)
- a pinch of smoked paprika, (totally optional)
- Cheese or vegan cheeze of your choice (this is also totally optional and not required for deliciousness)
- Drain the jackfruit and place in a shallow dish
- Shred the jackfruit pieces with a fork. Don't hesitate to use your hands too. It goes easily and is pretty fun!
- Dry the jackfruit: Place the shredded pieces in a clean towel, fold the towel over and thoroughly press in order to soak as much liquid away as possible
- Transfer into a dish and add everything else (mayo, diced celery, carrots, pepper, onion, nori)
- Mix it all up and season to taste
- Let it sit for a few minutes as you preheat a large skilled
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat (we like a cast iron skillet which requires no oil)
- Do the usual "sandwich melt shuffle" that you're probably already familiar with:
- Grill 2 slices of bread in the pan, flip them over.
- Put a thick layer of Jackfruit salad mixture on one slice and cheese (if you're using cheese) on the other.
- Bring both pieces together and grill on each side until nice and brown (usually takes 2 minutes or so)
- Enjoy warm and toasty! We like to preheat a toaster oven to 200F and put finished sandwiches there, so all the sandwiches are ready to enjoy warm together when finished!
You can always step on the gas of deliciousness for this recipe by buttering up slices before grilled them on the skillet. For an everyday sandwich, we like to use no oil and no cheeze to keep the meal light and energizing!
You can also vary the veggies in this recipe and use more or less of them based on your preference. Enjoy, om nom nom!!!