It’s January. You know what that means. The weather is cold and the holidays have passed. Boo! This time of year can leave you feeling cold inside and out.
That’s why we wanted to share this amazing split pea soup recipe to warm you up! Not only is it delicious and super easy to make, it’s high in protein, fiber, and low in fat. Is there anything this soup doesn’t have? Oh yeah. Gluten!
6 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion
3 ribs celery
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. split peas (dry)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
6 cups water
1/8 tsp Liquid smoke (or to taste)
1.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Dice the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Add to a large pot with olive oil and sauté over medium heat for about five minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the dry split peas, paprika, oregano, thyme, pepper, and water to the pot.
- Place a lid on top, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring the water to a boil.
- When it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to let the soup simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes, or until the peas have completely broken down and the soup is thick (keep the lid on between stirs).
- Add liquid smoke and salt. Serve hot with toast for dipping!