- 2 Cups mashed Yams or Sweet Potatoes. (Simply steam or bake your Yams or Sweet potatoes until soft, then mash with a fork. You can also buy mashed Sweet Potatoes in a can. If you want a smoother texture, peel them before steaming or baking. Or leave the skins on if you don’t mind occasional skin chunks! ) Please note you’ll need additional 2 Cups of this mash for the frosting – so altogether for the whole recipe, you need 4 cups.
- ½ Cup water
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup (feel free to use more if you like more sweet)
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Happy Campers Easy Peasy Flour Mix
- ½ Cup Coconut Sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ – ½ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly coat two 9” round cake pans with coconut oil or other oil. Or use parchment paper.
- Combine all Dry and Wet Ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Scoop the mixture into the 2 pans.
- Note, this cake “batter” is not “batter” at all. It doesn’t resemble traditional cake batter and it is actually very thick. That’s okay, that’s how it should be.
- Use rubber spatula to smooth the batter into pans. To prevent sticking, it’s good to dip your rubber spatula into water.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Check with a toothpick to ensure it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
Now to the frosting!
- 2 Cups of the same Yam or Sweet Potato mash.
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder.
- ½ Cup to ¾ Cup sweetener of choice. (We use ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar and ¼ Cup Maple Syrup).
- ½ Cup Almond Butter.
- Pinch of Salt (optional).
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract (optional).
- Put everything except the dash of liquid into a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Blend it up!.
- Once the cakes cool, cut them in the middle (so you essentially end up with 4 cakes) and now let’s get frosting!