We love fresh bread. We love chocolate. In this recipe, we’re putting two things we love together to make our new FAVORITE thing! Whether you call it pan au chocolat, chocolate babka or simply chocolate swirl bread, join us for a fabulous quick’n’easy bake off that’s sure to delight the whole family! To make it even easier, each crucial instruction point below is hyperlinked to a video. Simply click it to view the step!
This Recipe makes 1 swirly “log.” We recommend doubling this recipe and making 2!
- 1 ¼ Cup (178g) Happy Campers Easy Peasy Flour Mix
- 2 tsp = 1 packet (7g) Yeast
- 2 ½ Tbsp (38g) Coconut Sugar – or 3 Tbsp (55g) Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup + 2 Tbsp (144g) Warm Water – or ½ Cup + 1 Tbsp (122g) Warm Water if using Maple Syrup
- 1 ½ Tbsp (18g) Olive or another Oil
- Kitchen mixer, Hand Mixer, or Spatula and mixing bowl
- Bread pan (greased non-stick, or floured)
- Rubber Spatula, Wax Paper, Brush
Chocolate spread: Use any of these or other similar options, which you can find at your local grocery store:
- Nutiva Organic Dark Chocolate Hazelnut spread
- Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter
- Wild Friends Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter
- Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Almost Butter
- Or melt your favorite chocolate bar!
- Combine all the ingredients (except for Chocolate spread) and mix for 6-8 minutes until smooth.
- As the dough is mixing, warm up your Chocolate spread. It shouldn’t be hot. Just gently warm up while stirring constantly to the point that it pours easily.
- Lay down a sheet of Wax Paper and brush with oil. This is probably the most important part. The Wax Paper has to be Oiled, otherwise the dough will stick to it and you won’t be able to roll it.
- Put dough on the Oiled Wax Paper and spread it to about 0.25in thick with a Rubber Spatula. Dough is very sticky, so use Water for easy handling. Water your hands or spatula liberally and multiple times during the spreading.
- Make it about square, about as long as your bread pan. For example, if you have a bread pan that is 9in long, make about 9in x 9in square.
- Pour the chocolate filling on and spread it evenly. Leave at least 1 inch around the edges, so that the chocolate filling doesn’t try to escape when you roll the log. We recommend a pretty thin layer so the bread can rise better and isn’t overly sweet. The chocolate filling has plenty of flavor!
- Pick up the side of Wax Paper and simply roll into a log.
- Smooth out the seam and pinch the edges of the roll closed, so that chocolate filling can’t escape out during baking. This is best done with spatula.
- Place the roll into a greased non-stick bread pan. We recommend turning the “seam” edge” of the log to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with a towel and let rise at room temperature for at least 1 hour. If there is any cracking or “seam separation” that you see, that’s no problem and just leave it as is. It’ll smooth out during baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Go for it!!! The swirl bread is amazing fresh from the oven after cooling down just a little it. It keeps well in the fridge and tastes wonderful reheated later as well!