Take your grilled cheese sandwiches to the next level of delight – and make them healthier at the same time!
We enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches occasionally as comfort food. Recently we tried them with veggies and avocado after a tip from our friend Cory at Lean Green Dad. To our delight, the veggies added not only extra fiber and nutrition, but fantastic flavor too!
Make these for a quick lunch or dinner.
Loaf of Classy or Hemp
Butter or plant-based butter
Cheese or dairy-free cheese
Thinly sliced veggies of choice, our favorite are:
Green bell pepper
Red bell pepper
- Preheat toaster oven or regular oven to 375F
- For one sandwich, take 2 slices of bread and lightly butter both sides of each slice
- Thoroughly heat up a frying pan on medium heat (about 5 minutes)
- Grill your 2 bread slices on one side on medium heat until golden brown (check around 90 seconds to see if it’s done or needs more time)
- Turn the 2 pieces upside down
- Place a slice (or two) of cheese on top of one bread slice
- Place all your veggies on the other slice, starting with thin layer of avocado
- By the time you placed all your veggies, it should be time to put both bread slices together
- Carefully put the slices together and transfer them to the pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese some more
- Enjoy the deliciousness!