These bars will give you a quick boost of energy from dates and long-lasting energy from whole grains and nut butter. All that zing is what makes these ones of our favorite summer hiking snacks! Plus, the protein powder provides bonus nutrition points.
Happy Campers makes super yummy bars for everyday on-the-go eating. But maybe you need a bar that gives you some extra pep. Or you have a DIY spirit and prefer to make what you eat. Scroll down for a delicious, nutritious energy bar recipe!
You’ll need about 5 minutes, some Easy Peasy Flour Mix (or gluten free Oats), 4 other ingredients, and a Food Processor. That’s it! They couldn’t be more simple and don’t worry about the temperature while you’re outside…these bars won’t melt or freeze!
We hope you’ll enjoy these energy bars as much as we do the next time you decide to hit the trail. Not only are they delicious, they’re also versatile and pack a powerful punch!
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 bite-size bars in the picture. Feel free to double or triple!)
- 2 Tbsp Easy Peasy Flour Mix
This is a no-bake recipe so the raw flour mix needs to be toasted: simply preheat your oven to 350F, spread flour mix on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes.
- OR use 2 Tbsp Gluten Free Oats instead
Oats don’t have to be toasted, because regular oats are treated with steam during processing and are thus safe to eat “raw”
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 Tbsp nut or seed butter
- ½ Cup Protein Powder of choice
We like either Organic Pea Protein or Sunflower Seed Protein.
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (this is optional and only advisable in winter months. The chocolate will melt in warm weather.)
- Put all ingredients (except for chocolate chips if you’re using them) in a food processor and process until mixture forms even dough, kind of the consistency of play-doh. This takes 5-8 minutes.
- Mixture should feel warm after processing. If you’re adding chocolate chips, allow it to cool for a few minutes before folding the chocolate chips in by hand.
- Place the dough into a container, we use a shallow glass dish and press it down with hands or spatula.
- Refrigerate for several minutes so it sets.
- Cut up into your desired size!